Miriam Kiefer LL.M.
My name is Miriam Kiefer. I am founding partner of Kather Augenstein and have been active as a lawyer for over 15 years. I began to specialise in industrial property rights during my studies. I rounded off my specialisation by obtaining a master’s degree (LL.M.) at the Centre for Industrial Property Rights at Heinrich Heine University in Düsseldorf, and as a Certified Specialist for Intellectual Property.
The focus of my work is on litigation in the field of intellectual property. I have conducted more than a hundred infringement proceedings, primarily for patents and utility models. A majority of these disputes were cross-border proceedings, I am thus familiar with the coordination of multinational disputes. One of my passions is technology – however, my enthusiasm and love of detail is also engaged in other technical areas. In addition to the enforcement of technical property rights, I also represent my domestic and international clients in design, trademark infringement and unfair competition proceedings.
My Assistant ist Rebecca Siegert.
We concentrate fully on your mandate. Whether you have a big name or not, you enjoy first priority.
In addition to my work as a litigator I am co-author of two commentaries on patent law and the UPC. Furthermore, I am also a regular speaker on issues of patent law and provide training for patent lawyers in the context of the working group in North Rhine-Westphalia. Finally, as a board member of the association “women in ip e.V.”, I am engaged in professional collaboration and the exchange of experience among women in IP.
- Representing a leading global telecommunications company in a series of lawsuits against Apple for infringement of standard-essential patents (LTE/5G) and implementation patents (for more information, click here).
- Representation of a leading German medical technology company in various patent disputes concerning various mecical devices
- Representation of a leading global telecommunications company in a series of lawsuits against Samsung for infringement of standard-essential patents (LTE/5G) and implementation patents (further information can be found here).
- Representation of a US company against several competitors for patent infringement in the field of network security technology.
- Representation of a leading global medical device manufacturer in multiple patent disputes involving stents and catheters
- Representation of a medical device manufacturer in preliminary injunction proceedings arising from patents that had just been granted (OLG Düsseldorf, MittdtPatA 2011, 193, “Harnkatheterset”)
- Representation of a pharmaceutical company in patent disputes concerning biotechnological vaccines for animals
- Representation of a shoe manufacturer in a cross-border patent dispute concerning the sole structure of shoes
- Representation of a leading flooring manufacturer in a patent dispute concerning “click” technology in floor coverings
- Commentary on numerous articles of the UPC in BeckOK, online commentary on patent law.
- Antix-Suit-Injunctions in a nutshell – A contribution to the understanding of a young accompanying phenomenon in SEP disputes, in: Mitteilungen der deutschen Patentanwälte (Mitt.) 2022, pp. 97-106. (Co-author Dr. Benedikt Walesch)
- Liability of persons acting in the case of IP right infringements, MarkenR – Zeitschrift für deutsches, europäisches und internationales Kennzeichenrecht 2022, pp. 2-10 (co-author Dr. Katharina Brandt)
- Co-author on: Festschrift Dr. Sabine Rojahn – Der Schadensersatz bei Patentverletzung in Deutschland – auch aus der Sicht von außen (published February 2021, p. 43 ff.).
- Co-author with: Augenstein/Wilson/Agé, Unified Patent Court Procedure, C.H.Beck/Hart Publishing, expected publication 2021.
- Commentary on Art. 138 and Art. 139 EPC in: Patentrechtskommentar PatG, GebrMG, IntPatÜG, PCT und EPÜ, (ed.: Fitzner/ Lutz/ Bodewig) Munich: Verlag Franz Vahlen, 4th edition, 2012
- The Proceedings before the Unified Patent Court and its Preparation from the Perspective of Patent Attorneys and Lawyers, 15.03.2023, VPP District Group Central-West, Online Seminar (co-lecturer Dr Natalie Kirchhofer)
- 5G Standard & Co – Legal Framework, 23.02.2023, IHK Düsseldorf, Online Seminar (co-lecturer Christian Hoymann, Ericsson)
- The European Patent with Unitary Effect (UP) and the Unified Patent Court (UPC), 08.02.2023, VPP District Group Central-West (co-lecturer Dr. Natalie Kirchhofer)
- The infringement case before the Unified Patent Court (UPC), 19/20.01.2023 (Stuttgart), VPP (co-lecturer Dr Christof Augenstein)
- Liability of Agents and Consultants for Infringements of Intellectual Property Rights, 08.11.2022, Deutsche Anwaltakademie, Online Seminar
- Infringement Proceedings before the Unified Patent Court (UPC), 03/04 November 2022 (Munich), VPP (co-lecturer Dr. Christof Augenstein)
- The Infringement Trial before the Unified Patent Court (UPC), 02./03.06.2022 (Cologne), VPP (co-lecturer Dr. Christof Augenstein)
- Introduction UP & UPC, 20.05.2022, LES Spring Conference, Mannheim
- UP & UPC Special, 06.04.2022, women in ip e.V., Online Seminar
- Patent Modernisation Act – an overview, LES Autumn Meeting virtual, Online Seminar, 19 November 2021
- Alternative Dispute Resolution, 7th women in ip international Forum, Online Seminar & Panel Discussion, 12 November 2021
- The claim for compensation under Sec. 139 (1) sentence 4 PatG n.F., Mannheim Patent Days of the Deutsche Akademie Heidelberg, Online Seminar, 11 November 2021
- Liability of Agents and Advisors for Infringements of Intellectual Property Rights, Deutsche Anwaltsakademie, Online Seminar, 12 September, 2021
- Enforcement on SEPs – Current Bottlenecks and Solutions, EU Commission, Online Seminar, 19 May 2021
- § Section 139 PatG The Second Patent Law Modernisation Act (co-lecturer Dr. Peter Kather), Patent Attorneys Westphal Mussgnug & Partner mbB, Online Client Seminar, 10 February 2021
- (How) Can globally spread activities infringe a patent in Germany?, 6th women in ip international Forum, Online Seminar, 06 November 2020
- Liability of Agents and Advisors for Infringement, German Lawyers Academy, Online Seminar, 18 November, 2020
- The patent infringement process (III) – Judicial enforcement of claims, AG der Patentanwaltskandidaten, Gruppe Düsseldorf, Kather Augenstein Rechtsanwälte PartGmbB, Düsseldorf, 04 December 2019
- Current developments in patent law jurisprudence: recall and removal from distribution channels, Annual Conference of the Chamber of Patent Attorneys, Advanced Training Seminar, Königswinter, 09 April 2019
- Liability of traders for infringements of intellectual property rights, German Lawyers Academy, Leonardo Hotel Frankfurt, 06 December 2018
- The patent infringement process (III) – Judicial enforcement of claims, AG der Patentanwaltskandidaten, Gruppe Düsseldorf, VDI Haus Düsseldorf, 06 December 2017
- Liability of acted parties for patent infringements, Seminar DAA, Cologne, 29 June 2017
- Patent infringement: Which group company is liable for what?, VPP Autumn Symposium 2015, MARITIM Hotel Cologne, 23 October 2015
- Who is liable for patent infringement? Pavis Forum, Starnberg, 5 February 2015
- Comment on BGH “Kollagenase I”, “Einkaufskühltasche” and “Kurznachrichten” at the PatentFORUM symposium, The Charles Hotel, Munich, 27 November 2014
- The new patent system in Europe, Toronto, Canada, 17 September 2014
- Preu Seminar, “The Unified Patent Court – intensive and up-to-date”, Preu Bohlig & Partner, Düsseldorf office, 14 March 2014.
- The underestimated secondary claims in patent infringement from the perspective of the patentee and the infringer, VPP Special Seminar, MARITIM Hotel Stuttgart, 4 June 2013.
- The underestimated secondary claims in patent infringement from the perspective of the patent proprietor and the patent infringer, VPP Special Seminar, MARITIM Hotel Cologne, 8 February 2012
Miriam Kiefer is an excellent lawyer who is highly recommended in technical-legal complex patent proceedings.